specialist residential care

t: 01283 480810 | e: info@godfreycare.co.uk

Useful Info

Friends and Family

Helping to find a residential placement for a family or friend can be a complex process so we have provided some information which may help you to make an informed decision.

A care home is where a person will receive accommodation and care 24 hours a day. All care homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

When considering a care home, there are lots of things you may want to consider. We have provided a list of questions you may want to ask, or your friend / relative may want to ask.

  • What is the latest CQC inspection rating?
  • Can I see the most recent inspection report?
  • How far away Is the service from family and friends?
  • Is it close enough to local amenities?
  • Is there a local education centre?
  • Does the service feel like ‘home’ and is it kept clean, tidy and well maintained?
  • Is the bedroom suitable?
  • Are the living spaces accommodating for all residents?
  • What is the services philosophy?
  • How does the service plan care?
  • How many staff Is there and what training do they have?
  • How do staff manage challenging behaviour?
  • When can we visit?
  • Will my friend / relative be able to learn new skills or maintain their level of independence?
  • Will my friend / relative have a say in how the service is run?
  • Is there a telephone my friend / relative can use?
  • Can my friend / relative have a pet?
  • How often will my friend / relative access the community?
  • Will my friend / relative still go on holiday each year?

Once you and your friend / relative have visited the services and you have an idea of which services will meet needs and wishes of your friend / relative, arrangements can be made with the services to complete an assessment for your relative / friend. You may want to be present for any assessments carried out. The assessment will be completed by a representative of the service you have chosen and will involve answering questions about their likes, dislikes, goals, aspirations, care needs and any health needs and specific diagnosis. Once the representative of the service has completed the assessment, they will put together a report which states how they will meet your friend / relatives needs and will provide a costing.

The assessment report will be taken to panel, along with the costings provided by the service. If the costs are agreed, your friend / relative may want to visit the service on occasions to get to know the staff and who they will be living with before they move in. This is often referred to as the ‘transition’ process.

Once your friend / relative has settled in, the social worker will carry out reviews to ensure that the placement is working and that your friend / relative is happy.

When your friend / relative is settled in the service, to maintain good communication, the home manager will discuss your preferred method of communication and discuss dates of family forums and any specifics regarding the service your relative / friend is living in.

Social Workers

How to make a referral?

To make a referral, contact Tia Cain at the Field House service to discuss your individual’s requirements. You can make a referral by telephone or request a referral form which we will send by email.

Can we take emergency referrals?

Yes, we can. If we have a suitable placement in a service, we can accept an emergency referral. Please contact Tia Cain at Field House service to discuss the placement.

Do we use the Care Funding Calculator (CFC)?

We are more than happy to use the CFC. We can also provide a breakdown of costs with our pre assessment document which closely matches the CFC breakdown of fees.

Can we support individuals detained under the Mental Health Act 1983?

We are not able to offer placements for an individual who is detained under the mental health act, however we are able to accommodate those who may be subject to a CTO (Community treatment Order) and we can apply to use the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS).

How do we manage challenging behaviour? 

Godfrey care staff are all trained in the BILD accredited NAPPI UK (Non Abusive Psychological Physical Intervention). Staff receive NAPPI training as part of their induction and have a trainer in house to continually monitor and assess the quality of delivery.

What is our core staffing?

Our core staffing is one member of staff to three service users. This shared support is included in our basic package.

What support is available throughout the night?

Our core staffing between 21:30 and 07:30 is one member of staff to three service users. Our night staff are permanent waking nights. This shared support is included in our basic package.

Our homes – Our organisation

Godfrey Barnes Care Limited aim to provide home from home residential support to build new and existing skills, to enable individuals to reach their full potential and to be as independent as possible. 

Useful Information

Field House is located near to the centre of Burton upon Trent and has access to the main road networks and public transport networks close by. There are many local facilities that are accessible for those who live at Field House and good communal living space within the home. The home is small and consists of only 6 bedrooms.

We work closely with all professionals and community teams to provide each individual with the support they require. We also hold monthly forums for families to attend.

If you wish to visit the service before any assessments are carried out, this can be arranged by contacting Tia Cain at the Field House Service 

Tel: 01283 480810
Email: tia.cain@godfreycare.co.uk

Service User

Choosing where to live is a big decision! Your social worker will help you to find a place to live. Your social worker may provide you with a list of services that may suit you. The CQC website has lots of information on homes in your town or chosen area. Charities may have contacts in the local area.

The Questions below may help you decide where you would like to live.

  • Is the home near my family and friends?
  • Can I access local transport?
  • Are the local facilities good?
  • Can I make my bedroom my own?
  • Do I have a private shower and toilet facility?
  • Are the staff friendly and helpful?
  • What food can I choose?
  • Is the house warm and welcoming?
  • Can I have a pet?

Once you have spoken to your social worker and decided which services you think are most suitable for you, your social worker will arrange for one of the service team to come and see you.

When a team member from the service comes to see you, they will ask questions about you and what are your needs, likes and dislikes. They ask questions to make sure they can support you and meet your needs and wishes.

The team member will make a report (often called a pre assessment or placement proposal) about their findings and will give this to your social worker. You may want to visit the service and meet some of the staff and other residents. This can be arranged.

Your social worker will take a copy of the report to ‘panel’ where it is decided if the service can meet your needs and to decide if they can pay for the service.

If the panel agree to the information in the report and agree to the cost, they will approve your funding. Once your funding has been approved, you can start making plans to move in to your new home. You may feel confident enough to move in very quickly or you may want to visit for tea, overnight or just for a few hours before moving in.

Once you have moved in to your new home, your social worker will visit on planned dates, to review your placement. Your social worker will ask how you feel about your new home, will talk to the manager and also to other professionals who might be involved in your placement. Your social worker will often visit after 1, 3, 6 and 12 months and most often, will then come to see you every 12 months.